Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Marrakech, Morocco...The Medina







This was the first performer we stopped to watch briefly...a cross dressing belly dancer.
So I had no idea where we were going for dinner Friday night.  All we knew was that Cassey had just arrived, having driven 3 hours from Rabat with her 2 kids, Nazeem and Maya, and her cousin Eckranh, and she was taking us somewhere in the city.  I assumed we were going out to a nice restaurant, putting on my black dress.   Boy was I wrong!  As we took a harrowing taxi ride into the heart of the city, we were let out onto the streets...there is NO traffic control ... everyone is going as they please!   We walked through a mall area and wham...the Medina!  I had read about this in all the travel books but nothing prepares you for the smells, glowing lights, and massive crowds.  Everyone held hands and we were constantly looking out for the kiddos.  

There are about 3 rows of food carts/restaurants with venders calling for your business.   They are lined up for as far as you can see...when I went back on Sunday with Cassey they were gone...the whole area gets washed down...for obvs reasons. 

THese are the guys that cooked us dinner.  Cassey ordered the traditional soup, Harrina, couscous, and shish kabobs.   On one occasion she told the waiter "No flys!".  That is raw meat just laying out there people!


Cassey contemplating the menu...I was mesmerized whenever she spoke in arabic...such an interesting language. 



Abigail and Maya were enthralled by all the street venders...the sellers (who were of all ages) would literally put things in their hands and walk away...coming back a minute later to collect there money...we only bought these instruments/noise makers.

Jackson and Nazeem bought these cool top/yo yos.



The fresh squeezed orange juice was out of this world and pennies to buy!





Incense being weighed out for me.



There were about 5 venders selling snails...eeewww.

This was a sooth sayer who looked blind but had glasses on and he had a pet falcon you can't see in this picture.  He only spoke arabic and as I walked away Cassey translated to me (after I noticed he was looking at me) "The one with the big eyes, you have great wealth coming to you."

1 comment:

  1. That looks amazing. You took gorgeous photos. I think I want one to frame because the colors are so vibrant. It looks like you al are having a wonderful time. Great memories are being made. Hugs and kisses to your family!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete