Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Native American Art - Clay Looms

3rd graders are working on clay looms we made from terra cotta clay.  To begin this project we rolled out a slab and I had a pre made stencil to cut out the center rectangle.  Then holes were added with the end of a wooden stylus clay tool.  I made sure to go over everyone's holes one more time.  After doing this some were still too small...I'll make sure that never happens.  We also allowed some time to create some designs with our clay tools.  Finally a hole was made so we can hang them when they are complete.  After they were fired we painted them with acrylics.  






Today we added the warp sting lines with twine.  It was a challenge for these guys to tie knots and think about the pattern of the string.  Some of the twine needed a little masking tape to make it fit through the holes.  About 7 kids started to weave.  These are going to look great...I have some funky yarn to use from some leftover knitting projects.  I also invited my students to bring any treasures to weave with for next week.



No comments:

Post a Comment